Camagüey

Tourist Destinations

Camagüey is the largest province in Cuba. It is located in the eastern-central part of the country, 550 km (around 340 miles) east of Havana. The largest number of keys and islets in the Cuban archipelago lie just off its coasts, and it has over 120 km. (75 miles) of beautiful beaches -25 percent of the length of all the beaches in Cuba.

When the Spaniards founded this village in 1514, they named it Santa María del Puerto Príncipe, but the Indians' name for it is the one that has lasted over the years. Now, both the province and its capital city are called Camagüey.

People say that the settlement was born from clay, because that was the material used for making the bricks to build the first houses. The large, Arabic-style earthenware jars (tinajones) that were used for storing rainwater in the past and that symbolize the province now were also made of clay. In the early 20th century, there were around 16,000 of those jars in the city. The historic heart of the provincial capital, declared a National Monument, has an asymmetric design that resembles a spider web in some areas. It is one of the largest historic centers in Cuba and its ambience and colonial architecture are among the best preserved on the Island.